With the 114th edition of the Paris-Roubaix this weekend, all eyes will be on Boonen (Four time Paris-Roubaix winner) & Cancellara (three time Paris-Roubaix winner) facing off (whom are also racing their last classics this year) and throw in a potential podium finisher with the likes of Sagan who has just won the 100th Edition of the RVV last weekend.
Cancellara is notably one of my all time favorite pro-cyclists and without a doubt I will be rooting for him in his last classics..
This is going to be a very emotional race for both Cancellara and Boonen as they pit against each other to be the most exciting classics race. For the last decade, it has been pretty much been the Boonen – Cancellara era of the Classics. So it would a race that’s so engaging, entertaining and exciting.
With the classics, anything can possibly happen in a race as big as this from mechanical failures, accidents, and surprise breakaways.
PARIS-ROUBAIX FAST FACTS
- The 2016 edition will be raced over 257.5km and features 52.8km of cobblestones across 27 sectors
- It’s been 14 years since the last muddy edition of the race. Johan Museeuw won in 2002 – his third victory – after attacking with 40km to go and winning solo by more than three minutes.
- Seven of the last 10 editions of Paris-Roubaix have been won solo. The other three were won in groups of two, three and six.
- There will be three former winners on the startline come Sunday: Tom Boonen (four wins), Fabian Cancellara (three wins) and Niki Terpstra (one win).
- In his 12 appearances at Paris-Roubaix, Tom Boonen has finished in the top 10 on 10 occasions, eight of which were in the top five.
- In 10 appearances at Paris-Roubaix, Cancellara has finished in the top 10 on eight occasions and in the top four on seven of those.
- Tom Boonen shares the record for most wins (four) with Roger de Vlaeminck.
- The race will be live in its entirety for the first time ever this year.
For more information of the 114th Edition of the bone jarring, ass-busting Cobbled Classics, follow this link.
And here’s the list of riders to watch for the race.